|About the Study||Luffincott is a small remote parish on the Cornish border, commanding fine views over the Tamar valley. Located 6 miles to the south of Holsworthy, the "manor was anciently called Loghincot and was held by a family of the same name from the time of Henry III till that of Henry V", according to The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales (1894-5).
John Stabb, in Some Old Devon Churches (1908-1916) stated that the small ancient structure of St James' Church consisted of "chancel and nave with continuous roof, south porch, and west tower with three bells." The tower was re-built in 1791. Declared redundant in 1975 and vested in The Churches Conservation Trust in December 1979 (when it was known as the Redundant Churches Fund), the church has many tablets, stones and windows in memorial to the residents of the village over the centuries.
|Population||In 1831, 92 people lived in the village. This remained steady for a century or more but has more recently declined with the village now having a population of less than 50 residents.|