Abaúj

 

The following locations have registered studies:

loading map - please wait...

Abauj: 48.548870, 20.646591

Abaúj is a historic county (comitatus) of Hungary with a long and varied past. Today, it lies partly in Hungary and partly in Slovakia. It stretches about twenty kilometres along either side of the Hornád (Hungarian: Hernád) River between Košice, the largest city in eastern Slovakia and 2013 European Capital of Culture, and Miskolc, the regional centre of northern Hungary.

Legend has it that in about 1000 A.D. the Aba family held property in this area. This family was head of the Kabar tribes and Samuel Aba became the third King of Hungary in 1041. The county formed in the thirteenth century from comitatus Novi Castri, or ‘New Castle’, which stood in the middle of what is now the village of Abaújvár. The Monguls invaded at this time and destroyed much of the county but the castle stood. German settlers helped to re-populate the county. In the fifteenth century, the county had over 5,000 residences and nine castles. However, the population was not able to withstand the invasion of the Ottomans in 1526, led by Suleiman the Magnificent. The Ottomans remained as occupiers for the next 160 years. In the seventeenth century, the county briefly became part of Transylvania and remained the scene of battles into the next century.

By the latter nineteenth century, the county had reached a population of 166,000 and was primarily composed of villages with only a few small towns. It experienced significant migration prior to the first World War, after which the northern part of the county became part of Czechoslovakia. Most of the county returned to Hungary as part of the First Vienna Award preceding World War II, but the end of World War II witnessed further re-partitioning and only a portion of the historic county remains in modern Hungary.

The following locations have registered studies: