East Lothian

 

The following locations have registered studies:

loading map - please wait...

East Lothian: 55.872229, -2.658691

East Lothian (Scots: Aest Lowden, Scottish Gaelic: Siorrachd Lodainn an Ear) is a registration county, previously named Haddingtonshire, bordering Berwickshire, the City of Edinburgh, Midlothian and the Scottish Borders.

In 1975, the Regional District Council had been created under the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973, and its governing area consisted of the local government county of East Lothian (until 1921 named Haddingtonshire) plus the burgh of Musselburgh and the Inveresk district council area, including the villages of Wallyford and Whitecraig.

In 1996, the Regional District Council was created under the Local Government etc. (Scotland) Act 1994, with the boundaries of the East Lothian district of the Lothian region.

Ranked eighteenth in size (out of the thirty two council areas of Scotland) with an area of just 262 square miles (679 square kilometres), its administrative centre is Haddington, although its largest town is Musselburgh.

The following locations have registered studies: